Wood cabinets require paint for its durability and you should paint them from time to time. You can use oil-based or water-based paint to paint wood cabinets. There will be some tools and equipment will be required for painting. If you are thinking of paint and don’t know how to paint bathroom wood cabinets then this article will help you as it talks about the painting and required equipment.
Tools and equipment needed
Now you have two options: first, you can use an oil-based paint or water-based paintwork. First of all, you have to decide which paint you want to use. Oil-based paint dries down to a solid coating that works well in high-traffic areas and is less likely to appear brushstroke than water-based paint. You can see the advantages and disadvantages of these on the internet and after reading it, decide which paint you should use. If you use water-based paint, it will dry quickly, while oil-based paint takes time to dry. If you want durable paint, use semi-gloss, satin or gloss paint because they are durable and easy to clean. You will need the following things-
- Drop cloths
- Painters tape
- Screwdriver or cordless drill
- TSP (trisodium phosphate) or TSP substitute
- Wood putty
- Putty knife
- Fine- or medium-grit sandpaper
- Tack cloth (optional)
- Paint tray
- Paint sprayer or paint roller with a smooth-nap cover
- Natural- or synthetic-bristle paintbrush
- New hinges (optional)
- New knobs or pulls (optional)
How to Paint
- First, prepare the area where you want to paint. Then clean the area and remove all objects from the cabinets and drawers otherwise they will get dirty. You can cover the floor with a cloth so that the paint’s splash does not make anything else dirty.
- Put a little piece of painter’s tape on the insides of each cabinet entryway and drawer and remove the doors and hardware otherwise, it will get dirty. You should also give numbers to drawers so after getting new paint you can identify the drawers and can put them in an old place. It will help you to remember which cabinet it belongs to. You can use screwdriver and drill machine for removing the doors and drawers. By using screwdriver you can remove the drawer’s fronts and whole drawer’s boxes.
- Then you have to clean the cabinets because it is necessary to clean a thing before painting. So you have to clean the cabinets before painting. You have to clean all things where you want to paint. If you want to paint the cabinet’s interiors then you have to clean those as well.
- Then you have to examine the cabinet boxes, drawers, and doors for nicks and dings. After examine them, if you feel that there is a requirement of repairing, then you must repair them first.
- Then you need to apply primer. Using a spray, roller, or brush, apply a uniform coat of primer to the exposed surfaces of cabinet boxes and doors and drawer fronts. If you want to use a brush, then you should use a long and smooth brush so that it will not show brushstrokes. Let the primer dry completely and apply color well to the cabinet corners.
- Then you have to paint the coat. If you want to use water-based paint then you have to use a synthetic paintbrush or sprayer and if you want to use oil-based paint then you have to use a natural-bristle brush or a sprayer. Read instructions before applying paint and follow the instructions. Apply the coat of paint everywhere where you want to paint. Then apply a second coat. Apply a coat to all surfaces and then leave for dry. Again follow the instructions and leave for required hours to dry. After applying paint you can leave it for dry.
- When you feel that paint become dry then you can reassemble the cabinets. Collect all the hardware and attach them. Then set them back in an old place.
As you can see in the above-given article that painting is not tough but you have to be careful. Kitchen Cabinet Renovation also can be done by following above given instructions. So if you are thinking of painting then keep in mind that above-given instructions are important and you can follow them for better paint.